Tuesday 12 July 2005

Car Shopping Experience

I sprung for a new 2005 Hyundai Elantra tonight.
It was $10,750 with all applicable discounts.

That was the price in the ad but I had a hard time getting it.
The salesman told me it included a $750 loyalty bonus and that since I was not trading in Hyundai I did not qualify.

I told him I wasn't buying it then.
The ad did not say for sure but it really appeared as if there was an extra $750 for existing owners. Purposely misleading?

I also had to mention the ad price before the dealer dropped to that price. Then there was confusion over whether or not the ad price applied to the car I got because the serial number did not match the ad serial number even though the car was identical except for color. Ad color car was black.

When I threatened to walk, the salesman had a talk with the manager who then came over with an apology saying that I was reading that ad correctly and they took the $750 off. The manager explained that the salesman worked in the Mazda dealership (for the same owner) and was unaware of all the discounts and how they worked. $10,750 seemed reasonable enough for the car with a 60K miles bumper to bumper and 100K power train warranty, AC, power windows, remote entry, cloth seats, etc.

They gave me $200 for my old car. Perhaps they can sell it for $500. Perhaps not with a cracked radiator and power windows that do not work and 102K miles on it and was generally in bad shape except for a brand new $120 battery in it. What a waste. I was hoping for $500 but expected about $250.

Reason for quick decision to buy a new car today:
I was driving old car today and all of a sudden the car got extremely hot inside like from 70 to 90 degrees in seconds. I thought the AC stopped working but a quick look at my gauge and I could see it was a deep in the red as it could get. Stopped at the first place I could (couple miles away) and it took a whole bottle of radiator fluid and then some. It had all steamed out thru a crack. 102K miles on a Olds 97 Achieva.

Power windows did not work (drove it that way for a year)
$500 to fix.
Radiator installed $350
Tires fair at best
Brakes good but.... replaced twice in last two years so something is chewing them up too quickly
Battery brand new (less than 1 week old). Car would not start a week ago.
Transmission was lurching all day today (not sure if related to overheating or not).

I have literally driven two cars to where they would not run at all (stopped dead at side of road to be towed to junkyard) and a third that had numerous problems including a clutch going out that would not likely have lasted another week.

I am sort of an expert on driving cars into the ground.

Anyway, that was that.
Dealer suggested I sell old car myself but who could I sell that to and even if I could I would not want to.

I did not get the Hyundai color I wanted, but silver was acceptable, and the dealer absolutely would not attempt to trade it with another dealer for that price. Silver would have been my second choice so I took it.

4 door sedan - 5 speed

Clutch is extremely smooth.
Lumbar support adjustments in the seat, power windows, AC, remote entry, AM/FM cassette player (why do they put those in instead of CD player?) but there is a ready made slot for a CD player.

BTW the radio pickup is great.
Chicago cancelled their only oldies station couple weeks ago but I could pick up Milwaukee station. Old car could not and wife's relatively new grand am certainly can not pick up that station.

Seems like a lot of car for $10750.
That is a lot less that I paid for new Toyota Corolla many many many years ago and it has far more features to boot.

Inflation anyone?
Not in cars, unless you insist on trendy names.

Mish

No comments:

Post a Comment